Unfiled Returns

Do You Have Unfiled Tax Returns?

  • It is ILLEGAL not file your taxes
  • It is NOT illegal to owe a debt to the CRA
  • Even if you cannot pay your taxes, you should file
  • We can help get you caught up
  • We have helped thousands of other Canadians

Barrett Tax Law Can:

  • Get your returns filed quickly!
  • Avoid or Decrease Penalties through the Voluntary Disclosures Program
  • Avoid Criminal Prosecution through the Voluntary Disclosures Program
  • Get you back on track with all your filings

Call 1-866-278-8424 to speak with a Tax Lawyer who specializes in Unfiled tax returns and Voluntary Disclosures, or Click to know more

What if I don’t file my returns?

  • The CRA may create arbitrary tax returns to get your attention
  • You may be penalized up to 50% (gross negligence penalty)
  • You may be charged criminally with tax evasion or failure to file
  • You may be MISSING OUT on credits and on other government assistance

Barrett Tax Law can help prevent the situation from getting worse

Call us today at 1-866-278-8424 and speak with a Tax Lawyer who specializes in Unfiled Tax Returns and Voluntary Disclosures or



First Time Offenders

There is a penalty for filing a return late, which is 5% of the unpaid taxes PLUS an additional 1% per month for upwards of 12 months, with a maximum penalty of 17%.

Repeat Offenders

For repeat offenders the percentage is even higher for unpaid taxes being 10% PLUS an additional 2% per month for upwards of 20 months with a maximum penalty of 50%.

For more information on penalties imposed by the CRA,
Click here.


The CRA can and will charge daily interest rates on any overdue taxes or balance owing. Even if you do not owe money but have not filed your returns, the CRA is able to charge a daily interest rate. Interest begins the day after your tax return is due. There are ways in which Barrett Tax Law can assist you.

If you have unfiled tax returns or unreported income you may have the option of partaking in the
Voluntary Disclosure Program (the ‘VDP”). A common reason for not filing taxes is that people fear that they will be unable to pay the tax owing or they are overwhelmed by how many returns they have to complete. Do not let this scare you. There are many ways available to allow you to pay off the taxes while avoiding being further penalized by the CRA, for instance tax relief.


You must be careful as the CRA has a wide array of ways in which they collect unpaid debt from an individual or a business. The most common methods include:

  • Wage garnishing;
  • Imposing property liens;
  • Destroying your credit;
  • Forcing the sale of your home;
  • Freezing and/or seizing bank accounts;
  • Intercepting monies payable to you; and
  • Seizing your assets

The penalties for unfiled returns and outstanding taxes owing are extremely serious. Barrett Tax Law is here to assist if you!

Take the First Step Towards Getting Your Taxes Under Control.

Call 1-866-278-8424 to speak with a Tax Lawyer who specializes in Late Filing and Voluntary Disclosures, or